New Delhi, August 21, 2026 (Yes Punjab News)
Pakistan’s Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) has significantly tightened security around Lashkar-e-Tayiba (LeT) founder and Mumbai 26/11 attack mastermind Hafiz Saeed following a rise in the threat perception against him, according to multiple assessments by Indian security agencies.
An Intelligence Bureau official said there had been several alleged attempts to assassinate Saeed, who is serving a sentence in Pakistan in terror-financing cases. The official said that while Saeed had previously been permitted to meet members of his organisation and attend certain gatherings, the ISI has now restricted his movement amid concerns over his safety.
Security around Saeed’s place of residence has reportedly been reinforced, with additional personnel deployed and visitors subjected to extensive scrutiny before being allowed to meet him. He has also reportedly been barred from visiting training and radicalisation camps in recent months.
The heightened security comes as LeT is believed to be rebuilding its organisational infrastructure following losses suffered during Operation Sindoor, including the destruction of its principal training facility at Muridke, according to the assessment.
Saeed has also lost several senior associates in recent years amid reported internal rivalries and power struggles. Indian officials believe the increased security measures are intended to prevent any further threat to the LeT founder at a time when the organisation remains important to Pakistan’s India-focused operations.
Pakistan has maintained that Saeed has been lodged at Lahore’s Kot Lakhpat jail since 2019. Indian officials, however, claim that he has largely remained at a heavily fortified safe house in Lahore’s Mohalla Johar area and is moved to the highly secured Mian Mir Cantonment when the threat perception rises.
Officials said Saeed had traditionally attended meetings and training camps in Pakistan and Pakistan-occupied Kashmir, where cadres expected him to address and motivate them. His physical participation reportedly continued until late 2024, but he has been prevented from travelling since the threat level increased.
His interactions through video calls have also reportedly been curtailed, with such communication permitted only during larger meetings. Instead, officials said, Saeed has increasingly relied on recorded audio messages to communicate with cadres.
The Indian assessment comes as agencies intensify investigations involving Saeed. The National Investigation Agency (NIA) has named him in connection with the Pahalgam attack, while proceedings to try him in absentia have also been initiated in connection with the Mumbai 26/11 terror attacks following a proclamation issued against him and six others.
An Indian official said authorities were building a case against Saeed that could also have implications for Pakistan’s position before the Financial Action Task Force (FATF).






























































































