New Delhi, August 21, 2026 (Yes Punjab News)
The Congress on Friday welcomed the Delhi Police’s registration of an FIR against unknown persons following a complaint by Sahil Lochab, who has alleged that he was injured by pellets during the July 20 Parliament march, saying the development has established a basis for investigating the incident.
The FIR was registered after Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Rahul Gandhi staged a more than seven-hour sit-in outside the office of the Deputy Commissioner of Police at Delhi’s Parliament Street Police Station. Gandhi was protesting the alleged refusal of police to register an FIR on Lochab’s complaint.
Congress leader Salman Khurshid said the registration of the FIR would now enable a formal investigation into the circumstances surrounding Lochab’s alleged injuries.
“The registration of an FIR means that the investigation, the probe into the incident where a young man was injured by pellets striking his eyes and body, will now commence. It establishes who bears the responsibility, who is being accused, and who must answer for it,” Khurshid told IANS.
He said that before the FIR was registered, there was no formal basis for an investigation into the allegations.
Congress MP Imran Pratapgarhi described the development as a “massive victory” for students and credited Gandhi’s protest with securing the registration of the case.
“I salute the Leader of the Opposition. Amidst this sweltering heat, he sat with the students and declared that if the FIR was not registered, even if it meant sitting in protest for fifty days, he would sit right there with them,” Pratapgarhi told IANS.
Congress MP Kumari Selja said Gandhi and party workers had remained at the protest site throughout the day to support the alleged victim’s family. She alleged that the government had earlier denied that a pellet gun had been used.
“The simple demand was merely to register an FIR, but the family was made to run from pillar to post, and the FIR was not allowed to be filed,” Selja said, alleging that the case was registered only after pressure from the protest.
Congress leader Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury also termed the FIR a victory, alleging that the matter could have been resolved much earlier.
The FIR has been registered against unknown persons, and the police investigation is expected to establish the circumstances surrounding the alleged pellet injuries and identify those responsible.



























































































