Thrissur, August 22, 2026 (Yes Punjab News)
Kerala Leader of the Opposition Pinarayi Vijayan on Saturday strongly defended himself and his daughter Veena Vijayan, asserting that neither he nor any member of his family had been involved in hawala transactions.
Vijayan was speaking at his first press conference after the Enforcement Directorate (ED) issued a statement earlier this week alleging hawala transactions as part of its probe involving Veena.
“I am fully confident that none from my family, including me, has been involved in any sort of hawala transactions,” Vijayan said, raising both hands to emphasise that he had nothing to hide.
The former Chief Minister questioned the ED’s decision to issue a public statement in the case and specifically objected to the reference to him as “P. Vijayan, former Chief Minister”.
“Normally, in such cases, such press statements are not put out. They are put on their website. Why was my name mentioned in this manner?” he asked.
Vijayan alleged that the reference was intended to create an impression that he was also connected with the allegations and described the attempt to drag his name into the proceedings as politically motivated.
Recalling an earlier CBI investigation in 1996, Vijayan said a person had appeared before the agency claiming to have given him Rs 1 crore or Rs 2 crore, allegedly in anticipation of Vijayan becoming the next Electricity Minister. He said he had fully cooperated with that probe and was subsequently cleared.
“Now a few people are behind us, trying to see how they can trap us,” he alleged.
Defending Veena, Vijayan said she had cooperated with the investigation from the beginning and would continue to do so.
The CPI(M) leader said he had no objection to the investigating agency carrying out its work, but argued that the fact that Veena was his daughter had added a political dimension to the case.
Vijayan also accused Malayala Manorama of repeatedly targeting him through what he described as baseless reports. He alleged that the media organisation was deliberately creating controversies involving him and his family.
His remarks mark his first direct response to the ED’s latest public statement and are likely to add to the political debate surrounding the agency’s probe and the allegations involving his daughter.




























































































