Chandigarh, August 22, 2026 (Yes Punjab News)
Punjab Public Works Minister Harbhajan Singh ETO on Saturday accused Shiromani Akali Dal leaders Harsimrat Kaur Badal and Bikram Singh Majithia of using a misleading social media video to politicise and discredit ongoing road construction work in Bathinda district.
The minister was referring to a video concerning the road connecting Kotfatta village with Ramgarh Bhundar. He said the road was already in existence and that the government was laying a new PC (paver course) on it as part of its statewide programme covering nearly 45,000 kilometres of road construction and improvement.
Addressing a press conference, ETO said the PC had been laid on August 18 but the work was still incomplete when a former Akali sarpanch from Ramgarh Bhundar, Gurwinder Singh, allegedly interfered with a portion of the unfinished road and recorded a video. The video was subsequently shared on social media by Harsimrat Badal and Majithia, he said.
The minister alleged that the incomplete work was deliberately portrayed in a manner intended to create a negative impression about the government’s road programme.
ETO challenged the two Akali leaders to visit the site at 11 am the following day and demonstrate their claim that the road could be uprooted by hand.
“If you can uproot the road with your hands, immediate action will be taken against the concerned contractor or official. But if you are unable to do so, you will have to publicly apologise before the people of Punjab for spreading a false post and video,” he said.
He maintained that road quality would be assessed after completion and said the government had introduced a policy under which contractors would remain responsible for maintenance of roads for five years. Any negligence detected during or after construction would invite action against the responsible contractor or official, he added.
ETO warned against interfering with government construction before completion, saying such conduct would not be tolerated. At the same time, he said the government was prepared to order an inquiry if there were genuine concerns regarding the quality of any road.
The minister accused opposition parties of becoming frustrated by the development works being undertaken by the Bhagwant Mann government and attempting to turn public infrastructure projects into political controversies.
He said roads, schools, hospitals and other development projects were being taken up across Punjab and asserted that the government would continue its programme to construct and improve 45,000 kilometres of roads with transparency.
ETO also criticised what he described as the Akali Dal’s “double standards”, alleging that its leaders raise Punjab-related issues before the Centre but seek to discredit development works when they are undertaken in the state.
He said political parties should welcome road construction in villages regardless of their political affiliations, adding that criticism of incomplete work should not be used to mislead the public.
The minister reiterated that anyone deliberately obstructing government development work or attempting to defame it through false or misleading material could face appropriate action under the law.






























































































