Seoul, August 18, 2026 (Yes Punjab News)
The Hyundai Motor labour union will stage a fresh round of partial strikes this week after wage negotiations with the automaker failed to produce an agreement.
The union said on Tuesday that workers would hold four-hour strikes on Wednesday and Thursday, followed by an eight-hour walkout on Friday. Four-hour partial strikes are also planned for Monday and Tuesday next week.
The 40,000-member union has already staged a cumulative 44 hours of partial strikes since wage negotiations began. The latest decision followed the 16th round of talks between labour and management, held earlier on Tuesday, with the two sides still divided over the wage package.
The union is seeking a 149,600 won ($105.6) increase in monthly base pay and a performance-based bonus equivalent to 30 per cent of Hyundai Motor’s net profit for the previous year.
Management has proposed an 80,000-won monthly base-pay increase, a performance bonus equivalent to 350 per cent of monthly salary plus 10 million won, and 15 shares of company stock.
The labour dispute comes as Hyundai Motor faces pressure on sales. The company said earlier this month that its global vehicle sales fell 5.1 per cent year-on-year in July to 318,454 units, marking the 10th consecutive month of declining global sales.
Overseas sales fell 3.2 per cent to 270,341 vehicles, while domestic sales declined 14.4 per cent to 48,113 units.
Hyundai Motor attributed the weaker July performance partly to production disruptions caused by partial strikes and customers delaying purchases ahead of the launch of new models.































































































































