London, August 19, 2026 (Yes Punjab News)
Australian tennis player Nick Kyrgios has been provisionally suspended by the International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) after testing positive for benzoylecgonine, a metabolite of cocaine, during an ATP 250 tournament in Mallorca, Spain, in June.
Kyrgios, 31, provided a sample on June 22. A World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA)-accredited laboratory confirmed the presence of benzoylecgonine on July 17.
Cocaine is classified by WADA as both a stimulant and a substance of abuse. It is prohibited in competition under the Tennis Anti-Doping Programme, with reduced sanctions applicable to substances of abuse when an athlete tests positive outside competition.
The ITIA said the provisional suspension became mandatory because of the nature of the substance and has been in effect since August 4. Kyrgios has the right to appeal the suspension but had not done so as of Wednesday.
During the suspension, Kyrgios cannot compete in, coach at or attend events organised or sanctioned by World Tennis, the WTA, ATP, the Grand Slam tournaments or any national tennis association.
Kyrgios acknowledged the anti-doping violation in a statement posted on Instagram and accepted responsibility for his actions.
“I made a huge mistake and I take full responsibility for it. I’m sorry to my fans, my family, my sponsors, and everyone close to me. Above all, I’m sorry to the kids who follow me. I know the example this sets, and I’m deeply disappointed in myself,” he said.
The former Wimbledon finalist also spoke about the physical and mental difficulties he has experienced during several injury-plagued seasons. He said recurring injuries had taken a significant toll and that coming to terms with being near the end of his career had been particularly difficult.
“None of that excuses what I did. However, the good news is that this has given me a wake-up call,” Kyrgios said.
He added that he would withdraw from social media and public life for 28 days to focus on his well-being and requested privacy for himself and his family.
Kyrgios has played only four singles matches this season amid continuing problems with his knee and wrist. His most recent appearance came in the men’s doubles at Wimbledon, where he and Alexander Bublik were eliminated in the first round.
The Australian reached a career-high singles ranking of No. 13 in October 2016. He has won seven ATP Tour singles titles and reached the Wimbledon final in 2022, where he lost to Novak Djokovic in four sets. Kyrgios and compatriot Thanasi Kokkinakis won the Australian Open men’s doubles title in 2022.




























































































































