Kolkata, August 19, 2026 (Yes Punjab News)
West Bengal Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari on Wednesday blamed what he described as years of negligence and failure to enforce fire safety norms under the previous Mamata Banerjee-led Trinamool Congress government for the deadly hotel fire on Mirza Ghalib Street in central Kolkata that claimed nine lives.
In a social media post, Adhikari said rescue and relief operations were underway alongside an investigation into the circumstances that led to the tragedy.
He alleged that infrastructure had been allowed to expand unchecked across Kolkata and other parts of the state, with buildings being permitted to operate as hotels and commercial establishments despite mandatory fire safety requirements.
“The previous administration systematically looked the other way, failing to enforce basic compliance audits and allowing these unsafe conditions to fester,” Adhikari said, adding that his government was working to enforce safety standards and address what he termed the shortcomings of the previous administration.
Expressing condolences to the families of those killed, the Chief Minister said he had directed the administration to ensure that those injured received the best possible medical treatment and support.
Adhikari also announced the formation of a five-member Special Investigation Team (SIT) to conduct a comprehensive inquiry into the incident.
“We are determined to find the truth and ensure that justice is served,” he said.
Initial findings by the police and the West Bengal Fire Services Department indicated that all nine victims, including two women and a child, died from suffocation rather than burn injuries.
The fire broke out at the hotel building on Mirza Ghalib Street earlier on Wednesday. Further investigation is underway to establish the circumstances surrounding the incident and determine whether fire safety violations contributed to the deaths.
































































































