spot_img
spot_img

Over 100 feared killed in gold mine collapse on Cameroon-CAR border

Yaounde, August 20, 2026 (Yes Punjab News)

More than 100 miners are feared dead after a gold mine collapsed at a border village between Cameroon and the Central African Republic (CAR), according to Cameroonian state media and local reports.

The collapse occurred around 2 p.m. local time on Tuesday in Zamboye, a border village in Cameroon’s East Region, which borders the CAR.

East Region Governor Gregoire Mvongo said the mine collapsed on the CAR side of the border and that an initial assessment indicated that three to five Cameroonian nationals had died.

“Zamboye is a border village, but the mine collapsed on the CAR side. About three to five Cameroonians died. We are doing everything possible to rescue victims,” Mvongo said.

Cameroon’s state broadcaster CRTV reported that more than 100 people had been killed, while other local media outlets said 107 bodies had been recovered from the debris.

However, CAR Minister of Mines and Geology Rufin Benam-Beltoungou confirmed 49 deaths following a visit to the site on Wednesday. He said the victims included 34 Central African Republic nationals, 13 Cameroonians and two Chadians.

“We visited the site where the tragedy occurred. We counted 49 deaths,” Benam-Beltoungou said, adding that some mine managers had acknowledged a lack of discipline among miners.

The minister ordered the temporary closure of the mine following the tragedy.

Rescue teams continued efforts to reach miners believed to be trapped underground, while families in communities near the site mourned the victims.

Oriegene Dokna, a Cameroonian resident living near the mine, described the incident as a major shock for the local community.

“We are shocked by the tragedy. Families have been mourning since yesterday. It is a difficult situation to accept,” Dokna said.

The conflicting casualty figures could not immediately be reconciled, with rescue operations and recovery efforts still underway.

The latest incident comes amid continuing concerns over safety in Africa’s gold-mining sector. In July, five miners were killed when a gold mine collapsed in Kenya’s Narok County. Kilimapesa, located around 180 km south of Narok Town, is home to the country’s largest commercial gold-mining operation.

YesPunjab Logo
YesPunjab has a WhatsApp Channel
Follow it for the latest updates and headlines.

Stay Connected

219,202FansLike
109,267FollowersFollow

Popular - Latest

spot_img
spot_img

Ajj Da Hukamnama

showbiz

SPORTS & GAMES

BUSINESS

transfers & postings

OPINIONS