spot_img
spot_img

BJP Accuses J&K Parties of ‘Selective Approach’ Over PoK Crackdown

New Delhi, August 16, 2026 (Yes Punjab News)

BJP spokesperson Abhijeet Jasrotia has accused mainstream political parties in Jammu and Kashmir of adopting a “selective approach” to human rights issues by remaining largely silent over the alleged crackdown on civilians in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK), even as they have publicly expressed solidarity with Palestinians.

In an editorial published in Rising Kashmir, Jasrotia alleged that parties that frequently speak about human rights and self-determination had shown limited concern over protests in PoK and the reported use of force against demonstrators.

“These parties have often positioned themselves as champions of human rights and self-determination. They speak passionately about Palestine,” Jasrotia said, alleging that their response was muted when people across the Line of Control (LoC) protested for what he described as basic dignity and rights.

He claimed that the current unrest in PoK had developed over several years. According to him, protests began in 2023 over rising wheat and electricity prices, with residents also objecting to what he described as the region’s resources being extracted without adequate local benefit.

Jasrotia said the movement expanded in 2025 into a 38-point charter seeking transparent governance, improved public services and abolition of 12 Assembly seats reserved for refugees settled elsewhere in Pakistan. He alleged that the reserved seats enabled mainland Pakistani political parties to exercise influence over the local assembly.

He further said the situation escalated after authorities banned the Joint Awami Action Committee under anti-terror laws in June 2026. Protests subsequently spread across Rawalakot, Muzaffarabad, Mirpur, Kotli and other districts, he said.

Jasrotia alleged that security forces opened fire during the protests, with local groups and independent observers reporting death tolls ranging from dozens to more than 100. He also claimed that internet and mobile services remained restricted and essential supplies had been disrupted.

Maintaining that PoK is an integral part of India, Jasrotia referred to the Ministry of External Affairs’ condemnation of what it called “wanton killings” and its appeal for international accountability.

He also cited calls by the United Nations for impartial investigations and Amnesty International’s description of the PoK crackdown as “violent and sweeping”, while alleging that Pakistani authorities continued to portray protesting civilians as “enemies and terrorists”.

YesPunjab Logo
YesPunjab has a WhatsApp Channel
Follow it for the latest updates and headlines.

Stay Connected

219,202FansLike
109,267FollowersFollow

Popular - Latest

spot_img
spot_img

Ajj Da Hukamnama

showbiz

SPORTS & GAMES

BUSINESS

transfers & postings

OPINIONS