Jakarta, August 17, 2026 (Yes Punjab News)
The death toll from the 7.7-magnitude earthquake that struck Indonesia’s East Nusa Tenggara (NTT) province has risen to 68, while authorities continue relief and recovery operations across the affected areas.
National Disaster Management Agency (BNPB) Deputy for Prevention Abdul Muhari said the fatalities included 26 in Manggarai regency, 24 in East Manggarai, eight in Nagekeo, four in Sikka, and two each in Ende, West Manggarai and Ngada. Another 213 people were injured.
The BNPB said at least 1,576 aftershocks had been recorded following the main earthquake.
Road access in the affected areas has largely been restored, although some restrictions remain. Authorities have also reported that no residents are currently missing across the seven affected regencies.
The Health Ministry has deployed two field hospitals to Manggarai and Nagekeo, along with medical and crisis-management teams to strengthen healthcare services in the earthquake-hit areas.
Power restoration on western and eastern Flores Island has reached 99.5 per cent, while telecommunications services across Flores have recovered to 95.4 per cent.
The Indonesian military has deployed personnel and equipment to help deliver relief supplies to areas that remain difficult to access.
The East Nusa Tenggara provincial government has declared a 14-day emergency response period following the earthquake that struck on August 15. The emergency status will remain in force from August 15 to 28 under a decree issued by provincial Governor Melki Laka Lena.
According to the decree, the earthquake was centred around 30 km northeast of Mbay in Nagekeo Regency, at a depth of 15 km.
The earthquake heavily damaged 914 houses, while 126 houses suffered moderate damage and 317 sustained light damage. The disaster also damaged 93 educational facilities, 36 health facilities and 38 government offices.
The provincial government said the emergency declaration was intended to facilitate disaster response, evacuation, relief distribution and recovery operations in the affected areas.






































































































