New Delhi, August 18, 2026 (Yes Punjab News)
Security agencies have dismantled the Shehzad Bhatti network after coordinated operations across 14 states led to the arrest of more than 200 alleged operatives, exposing what officials describe as one of the most complex Pakistan-linked modules uncovered in recent years.
Union Home Minister Amit Shah announced on Monday that the module had been completely dismantled ahead of India’s 80th Independence Day. Investigators said the network posed a significant challenge because of its ability to recruit Indian youth rapidly and assign them multiple types of tasks.
According to officials involved in the probe, Bhatti, who had previously worked as a social media influencer before allegedly being recruited by Pakistan’s Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI), used social media extensively to identify potential recruits.
An Intelligence Bureau official said Bhatti and his associates would engage prospective recruits in prolonged conversations, studying their financial circumstances, insecurities and personal problems before attempting to draw them into the network. The official said the recruitment strategy relied not only on financial inducements but also on exploiting individual vulnerabilities.
Investigators were initially under the impression that the network was primarily engaged in surveillance. They later discovered that its activities were considerably broader.
Officials said members of the module installed solar-powered CCTV cameras at vital and crowded locations, including railway stations and other sensitive installations, with live feeds allegedly being transmitted to handlers in Pakistan. Investigators said dismantling this surveillance infrastructure and subsequently strengthening security arrangements at affected locations became a major challenge.
The network was also allegedly being used to recruit young people for targeted killings, terror attacks and the smuggling of arms and narcotics. Officials said the multiple layers of activity made it difficult for agencies to establish the full scope of the operation initially.
The investigation involved several high-level meetings under the Ministry of Home Affairs. Officials said Shah directed agencies to prioritise the dismantling of the network and ensured coordination among police forces in the 14 states involved.
The crackdown has so far resulted in more than 200 arrests and the registration of around 80 FIRs, according to officials. Investigators claim to have gathered evidence linking the network to Bhatti and the ISI.
The next legal step is expected to involve action against Bhatti under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act (UAPA). A proposal seeking his detention has been sent to the Ministry of Home Affairs following consultations between state and central agencies.
Officials said agencies are also preparing to coordinate with Interpol for the possible issuance of a Red Notice and a lookout notice against Bhatti. They said the evidence gathered during the investigation could support such a request.
The case has highlighted the evolving nature of Pakistan-linked terror networks, particularly their use of social media for recruitment, remote surveillance and the assignment of multiple criminal and terror-related tasks.























































































































