Mumbai, May 21, 2026
Tension prevailed in Mumbai’s Bandra East area after an anti-encroachment demolition drive allegedly turned violent, leading to clashes, stone-pelting and injuries to several police personnel deployed at the site, officials said on Thursday.
Following the violence that erupted on Wednesday, the Mumbai Police registered an FIR at Nirmal Nagar Police Station against 10 identified accused people and several others under multiple provisions of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS).
According to the FIR, the incident took place on Wednesday in the Garib Nagar locality near Bandra East railway station during an operation aimed at removing illegal encroachments and unauthorised structures.
Officials said the demolition drive was being carried out in accordance with court orders and official directives related to the scheduled anti-encroachment action.
For maintaining law and order during the operation, personnel from the Mumbai Police, the Railway Protection Force (RPF), Home Guards and other departments had been deployed at the site.
As per the police complaint, while authorities were carrying out the demolition exercise, a crowd of nearly 100 to 150 people gathered in the area and started protesting against the action.
Police officials reportedly made repeated announcements requesting the crowd to disperse peacefully and cooperate with the authorities. However, according to the FIR, the situation soon escalated after some members of the crowd allegedly became aggressive and attempted to obstruct the demolition operation.
The complaint further alleged that several individuals in the gathering raised slogans and tried to disrupt the drive by creating unrest at the spot.
During the commotion, stones and other objects were allegedly hurled at police personnel and officials present at the site, leading to heightened tension in the area.
Following the escalation, police reportedly used mild force to control the situation and detained several individuals on the spot.
Officials said multiple police personnel sustained injuries during the incident. The FIR specifically refers to injuries suffered by police and security staff deployed for the demolition operation, following which the injured personnel were provided medical treatment.
Police have invoked charges related to unlawful assembly, rioting, obstruction of government servants from performing official duties, assault on public servants and damage to public property against the accused persons named in the FIR.
An investigation into the incident is currently underway.
Officials are also examining CCTV footage and collecting additional evidence to identify other persons allegedly involved in the violence and stone-pelting during the protest.
Meanwhile, security deployment in the area has been intensified to ensure law and order and prevent any further untoward incidents.(Agency)




































































































