Chandigarh, July 2, 2021 (Yes Punjab News)
“There is no need for Power Cuts in Punjab or for the Chief Minister to regulate office timings or AC use of the Common people, if we act in the right direction.”
This is what ‘rebel’ Congress leader and former Punjab Minister Navjot Sidhu has to say on Capt Amarinder Singh Government’s decisions to tackle the shortage of power in the state.
Sidhu, who is in Delhi and recently met Rahul and Priyanka possibly for the resolution of the ongoing infighting in the State Congress today again took to Twitter and fired 9 shots (tweets) in a row putting a question marks on the decisions of his party’s government.
Sidhu has also come up with certain suggestions to handle the power crisis the state is facing at the moment.
However, while the Congress top brass is busy finding an ‘amicable’ solution to Congress infighting in the state and there are reports that a resolution is not too far, the Tweets tell a different story.
The Tweets posted today by Sidhu are self-explanatory and are reproduced below for the readers of YesPunjab.com
1.Truth of Power Costs, Cuts, Power Purchase Agreements & How to give Free & 24 hour Power to the People of Punjab:- 1. There is No need for Power-Cuts in Punjab or for the Chief Minister to regulate office timings or AC use of the Common People … If we Act in the right direction.
2. Power Purchase Costs – Punjab is buying Power at average cost of Rs. 4.54 per unit, National Average is Rs. 3.85 per unit & Chandigarh is paying Rs. 3.44 per unit. Punjab’s over-dependence on 3 Private Thermal Plants at Rs. 5-8 per unit makes Punjab pay more than other states
3. Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs) – Badal Govt signed PPAs with 3 Private Thermal Power Plants in Punjab. Till 2020, Punjab has already paid 5400 Crore due to faulty clauses in these Agreements and is expected to pay 65,000 Crore of Punjab People’s Money just as fixed charges
4. Punjab can purchase power from National Grid at much cheaper rates, but these Badal-signed PPAs are acting against Punjab’s Public Interest. Punjab may not be able to re-negotiate these PPAs due to them having legal protection from Hon’ble Courts, But there is a way forward..
5. Punjab Vidhan Sabha can bring in New Legislation with retrospective effect to Cap power purchase costs to prices available on the National Power Exchange at any given time … Thus, By amending the Law, these Agreements will become Null & Void, saving People of Punjab’s Money
6. Punjab’s revenue per unit of consumption is one of the lowest in India, due to gross mismanagement of the complete power purchase & supply system … PSPCL pays Rs. 0.18 per unit “Extra” on every unit supplied, even after receiving over 9000 Crore in Subsidy from the State.
7. Renewable Energy is becoming cheaper along with being environmental-friendly, But Punjab’s potential from Solar & BioMass Energy remains unutilised even though Central financial schemes can be availed for these projects. PEDA spends its time just on energy efficiency awareness
8. Punjab already gives 9000 Crore Power Subsidy but Delhi gives only 1699 Crore as Power Subsidy. If Punjab copies Delhi Model, we will get merely 1600-2000 Crore as Subsidy. To better serve the People of Punjab – Punjab needs an Orignal Punjab Model, Not a copied Model !!
9. Punjab Model for Power – Money spent on giving unreasonable & exuberant profits to Private Thermal Plants should be utilised for welfare of People i.e Giving Power Subsidy for Free Power for Domestic use (Upto 300 Units), 24 hours supply & to invest in Education & Healthcare !