New Delhi/Chandigarh, August 23, 2026 (Yes Punjab News)
Rajya Sabha MP Sant Balbir Singh Seechewal has sought a comprehensive investigation into an alleged international trafficking and ransom network operating under the name ‘Khan Baba’, after families of two Punjab youths approached him with claims that they were lured abroad on the promise of jobs and subsequently held captive.
Seechewal said the families of Kulraj Singh of Jalandhar and Manpreet Singh of Kapurthala contacted him on July 29. According to the families, agents had promised to facilitate their travel to Spain, but the youths allegedly ended up in Thailand and fell into the hands of a gang.
The matter was brought to the attention of the Ministry of External Affairs. Manpreet returned to India on August 9, while Kulraj remains in Thai police custody, according to his family. The Tribune has separately reported that Kulraj is among five people detained by Thai authorities in connection with an alleged abduction case, while his family maintains that he was himself a victim of a trafficking network.
The families alleged that large sums were demanded for the youths’ release. Manpreet’s family claimed it paid Rs 22.50 lakh, while Kulraj’s family alleged that Rs 8 lakh had already been paid and another Rs 15 lakh was subsequently demanded. They also alleged that the youths were subjected to torture and that videos or audio recordings were sent to their families to intimidate them and extract ransom.
Seechewal said similar complaints involving countries such as Iraq, Kenya and Ethiopia had surfaced previously. He has written to the Union Home Minister, External Affairs Minister and Punjab DGP seeking a detailed probe into the alleged network, its agents and possible international links, including assistance from Interpol.
He urged people seeking overseas employment to exercise caution, particularly when agents promise that payment can be made only after reaching a foreign country.
‘Manpreet returned without his passport’
Manpreet, who returned to India, described his alleged ordeal as frightening and said he feared for his life during his time abroad. He claimed that his passport was not returned to him before his journey back to India and that officials at airports reportedly verified his photograph on a mobile phone before allowing him to proceed.
Seechewal said the circumstances of Manpreet’s return also require investigation, including how he reached an international airport without his passport, who gave him instructions and which individuals or network facilitated his return.
The MP said establishing these links could help investigators uncover the wider alleged human-trafficking network and identify those facilitating the movement of vulnerable Indian youths abroad.































































































