Obtaining a Six Sigma certification is going to add a notch to your belt. It’s one of the most effective ways to boost your resume and make it stand out in a pile of other resumes.
However, when you have a Six Sigma Black Belt Certification, your worth increases many folds. It reflects your dedication towards the work you choose to do while showing your interest in being productive.
It was Bill Smith, an American engineer, who introduced Six Sigma in 1986 when he was working at Motorola and Jack Welch of General Electric, introduced the six sigma program into his business in 1995.
What is Six Sigma?
Six Sigma is the process or technique that helps in eliminating defects, errors, or risks and improves productivity. It has data dependency and needs accurate data to be able to detect any defects, risks and errors and do away with it. It’s a tool to measure not only the quality of any produced good but also of services and the company’s overall performance quality.
Various companies like Johnson Controls, Boeing, 3M, McKesson, GE, Ford, GEICO, Amazon, including the US Army and Marines implemented the Six Sigma into their business strategy and found it immensely beneficial, and successful. Though Six Sigma isn’t customary across all the features of these companies, it can still be applied wherever it’s needed to get positive outcomes.
The five steps of Six Sigma
Six Sigma has five steps to it, and it’s known as DMAIC: –
1. Define- This is the first step among the five steps of Six Sigma, and it helps in identifying the reason and requirement of a particular process, project, or service. It sets realist goals that can be measured so that any potential risk, damage or issue can be detected or identified. It works according to the company’s or customer’s need, strategy or goal to meet the expectation.
2. Measure- In this second step, all the factors that are Critical To Quality (CTQ) are measured. This is where all the parameters of any products, projects are collected, accessed and calculated to determine that they are accurate and reliable. This step is critical to determine the outcome of all the checks conducted to reach the bottom of the issue.
3. Analyze- The third step is to evaluate all the aspects of the component to reach the goal. It’s when the checks are conducted to investigate and determine the reason for the problem, by processing and analyzing all the data collected.
4. Improve- In this fourth step, you will be working on the path you have chosen to reach your goal and sharpening it. This is where you will be implementing the new process or solutions to the detected issues and monitoring it to see how it’s performing.
5. Control- This is the last and final step in the Six Sigma’s five steps, and it’s where you ensure that there is no deviation from the chosen path and the steps are followed correctly to fix the previous problems identified while continuously monitoring the progress. This is a process that needs to be repeated until the desired effect is achieved.
What is Six Sigma Certification?
A Six Sigma certification is where you will be able to learn the Six Sigma process and its implementation to identify and eradicate errors, risk factors, and defects in businesses of all categories.
This certification comes in a few levels, but depending on your requirement, you can opt to complete a few of them or all. However, to become an expert in this field, you will have to successfully complete all of them.
● Yellow Belt in Six Sigma- This is the basic level certification that will help you learn how and where to implement six Sigma. Though you will have the basic level of understanding of the Six Sigma, you will not lead a team. Instead, you will be a part of a problem-solving team at the basic level as a team member or a Subject Matter Expert (SME).
● Green Belt in Six Sigma- This is a level where you will gain the ability to analyze as well as resolve issues that are affecting the quality of either the service or the product. You will not only be leading projects but also assisting black belts with collecting data and analyzing. They will be working under the guidance of a Six Sigma Black Belt.
● Black Belt in Six Sigma – A Six Sigma Black Belt certified person will also have the basic understanding of the lean enterprise concepts. Along with the Six Sigma Concept, identifying elements and activities that have no value while using certain tools in this context will be their expertise. This is the advance level where you gain immense knowledge to not only lead projects but to also train others.
● Six Sigma Master Black Belt- Though the Six Sigma Black Belt is the advanced level; a Six Sigma Master Black Belt is a level higher than that. A Six Sigma Black Belt certified personnel are the ones who work on developing key metrics and shaping strategies while acting as advisors or consultants, and mentoring the Black Belts and Green Belts.
A six sigma black belt certification will be a game-changer for you if you do wish to get certified in it. To obtain the certification, you will need to complete a project or two with signed affidavits. Along with it, full-time work experience of three years in the field where the Six Sigma has been implemented or works centring it is needed.
You will have to display the abilities to be innovative in your thought process while having the ability to understand the need and expectations of the client or customer. You also need to have the talent of being competent while communicating, managing and leading to show substantial outcome in the business’s finance.
You cannot jump the steps to attain this level of expertise and will have to slowly work your way up towards becoming a Six Sigma Black Belt certified personnel. You can only obtain it after completing all the other levels of six sigma certifications.