New Delhi, Feb 28, 2020 –
After much criticism for mismanagement in handing over the bodies of those who died in the violence in northeast Delhi to their kin, the Guru Teg Bahadur (GTB) Hospital seems to be in action now.
Over 10 bodies were handed over after post-mortem to the people who had been struggling to get the corpses since Tuesday. And, many are still waiting for the handover of the bodies. The hospital authority said that the handover of the bodies was delayed as the autopsy was being done on the instruction of the Delhi Police’s Investigating officer.
“I have been sitting here since Tuesday morning. No one was telling me when I will get the body. Now the authorities here have at least informed me that I will get it by the evening,” a man told IANS, who lost his father-in-law in the violence.
A woman, speaking to IANS said, “At least now they have put up a tent here and chairs inside it. They have also put water dispenser. We were even struggling to get these things, besides waiting for the dead body of our nephew.”
The hospital has also set up a help desk for people so that they can inquire about the status of their cases. However, no names have been put on the display board so that the relatives can find out if the victims are among the injured receiving treatment at the hospital or have died and bodies kept in the morgue.
People from the nearby areas arranged food and water for those who were waiting at the hospital as the procedures for handing over the corpses were being completed.
More than 30 people died in the Delhi mayhem, which was sparked between the pro and anti-CAA protesters on Saturday in northeast Delhi. (Agency)