Acceding to Capt Amarinder’s request, Centre Okays Govt. Medical College for Hoshiarpur

Chandigarh, January 29, 2020 (Yes Punjab News)

Responding to Punjab Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh’s request and efforts, the Centre has given approval for the establishment of a new Government Medical College at Hoshiarpur, besides up-gradation of the existing local Civil Hospital.

The Union Ministry of Health & Family Welfare conveyed its approval to the State Government on Tuesday evening, under the centrally sponsored scheme for establishment of new medical college attached with existing District/Referral Hospital (Phase-III), according to an official spokesperson.

As per the communiqué, the new GMC would be set up at a cost of Rs.325 crore, of which Rs. 195 crore, i.e. 60% share, would be met by the Centre. The remaining 40% to the tune of Rs. 130 crore would be contributed by the Punjab Government as the state’s share for the college.

The upcoming GMC is the first-of-its-kind in the Kandi region, with an intake capacity of 100 seats, and would be instrumental in providing quality healthcare and diagnostic services, besides giving impetus to medical education and research in the region.

Conceding a request from Captain Amarinder Singh, the Centre has also cleared a proposal for up-gradation of the Civil Hospital, Hoshiarpur, thereby enhancing its bed capacity from the existing 200 to 500, with the latest medical infrastructural facilities added to the hospital.

Notably, there are three Government Medical Colleges already functioning in the State – at Amritsar, Faridkot and Patiala. Two other GMCs are already being set up at SAS Nagar Mohali and Kapurthala, with the Sixth now sanctioned for Hoshiarpur.

Share News / Article

YP Headlines